Wednesday, July 18, 2007

how we met (a blurry remembrance)

The end of February. No leap year this time around-- the 28th would be the final act, not only for the second month but for the club that became a home away from home for me and my band.

Talk about a low point: Eve was gone and her memory lingered everywhere; my desperate attempts to replace her with other women sank like stones in a river; and now the establishment that let us play anytime we wanted was going the way of the do-do bird...

When remembering it, I told her that I was in a drunken haze, surveying the room, and my eyes stopped and focused on her as she sat next to me in a booth. The way she recalls it, the guitarist introduced me to her in a tone of voice that expressed a quiet urgency, as if it were vital that we meet. I don't remember the introduction, but it's just as well because we talked and we talked and we talked and we talked...

And by the time I was having to get up and drive to work, I resolved to obtain her phone number. As I asked her for the number, I told her how much I enjoyed the talk, and apologized if she was already taken by someone else but I just had to speak to her again...

Eve and the club are long gone, but the girl I met that night is still around, and I am still amazed that it happened the way it did. I will never stop marveling at it.

3 comments:

Bridget said...

we missed you Janes.. how is your new romance?

Shannon said...

You are such a romantic now! I bet you would have cringed if someone told you that before. Maybe you are cringing now, but it is true! You have become a romantic! In many ways I think you have always been one really.

Eternity said...

This gives me hope...