Friday, October 06, 2006

wonder

I woke up from a paltry two-hour sleep reeling from a crazy dream.

I cannot recall what the dream was about, but it didn't matter. It was what the dream did to me that was so remarkable.

It woke me up stone cold, and I could not go back to sleep.

Conveniently, I woke up five minutes before my alarm was set to go off, so I jumped out of bed and got ready for work.

The dream was in my consciousness when I showered and shaved. As I combed my hair, which has been growing long, the dream flickered in my head like a windy night candle ready to give up its flame. And when I sat down to enjoy a cigarette before getting into the car, the dream manifested itself in the familiar waves of smoke that belly-danced up through the back light and dissipated into the stale air of my apartment.

The dream and its remnants fully faded by the time I hit the freeway. I wonder what it was about. I wonder why it stayed in my head even as I struggled to remember the details.

I wonder.

No comments: