Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Maybe She Was Right ABout Me Being A Vampire

I've been told to gaze at the sun
when it rises and sets
Possible replenishment could come from this
an extended solar kiss

I see nothing in the surface
except for endless fire
breathing
contracting
Spend my time redacting statements
taking my mind higher
shunting desire

Simmering summer season
sears my sensibilities
Sends me incensed and frenzied
breathless with energy
into the barren deep bluff
Flirting on the edge of engulfment
waiting for my sensitive skin
to toughen

My days lived out in a baked daze
My nights wasted and drained
Poisons calm demons and
serums stake claims
Powders and elixirs suggest
calamitous consequences
A lust for danger
flails in my gut
but fails to erupt--
A mental coffin nailed shut

Say what you will
but to stay out
in the daylight
is a bitter pill
to swallow
Better that I spend my moments
wallowing
in the mud to keep cool
Following blood
and discrete rules
Borrowing drugs
to deceive fools

Maybe she was right about me being a vampire

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I like the poem :)