Tuesday, April 24, 2007

smudged impressions of last friday

After attending a gallery opening that left us befuddled and dinner in Chinatown with friends, she and I accompanied her roommate to a trendy Hollywood bar to play darts and get sauced.

In between horrific dart rounds, she and I would sneak out back to smoke cigarettes and talk.

I was getting progressively more drunk as she told me that she thought my karaoke last week was good, and that she knew she couldn't sing a lick but she liked doing it anyway, and that we must come back again and sing some more.

I told her that I knew she was singing from the heart, and that one of these days she and I would have to go on some road trip to get away from this big, bad city.

She told me about New York, and how her visit was not impeded by inclement weather and the shortness of her stay. She planned that we should both go out there soon. I agreed, telling her that I had planned to go last year but the plans fell through.

She asked me why. I started to explain but stopped, and said I would rather not talk about it. But she knew the reason why without my having to elaborate.

Eventually I was so plastered that when it was time to walk back to the car, I made the trip backwards while flinging a Chinese yo-yo I'd bought in Chinatown at passersby.

They drove me to my car at the Metro station, and then she drove my car to my apartment because I was too hammered to give it a go. Her roommate followed behind-- I'd promised him some weed back at my place.

Her roommate played with my cats as she dragged me to my bed and tried to tuck me in. I was almost gone but still alert enough to pull her down with me and wrap my arms around her.

She did not resist.

And the kisses were slow and sweet, and they were punctuated with small talk and wistful nothings, and she tasted wonderful and smelled like subtle perfume.

Sensing that her roommate was getting restless in the other room, she bid me farewell with three kisses on my face, as she tucked me in and made her way out my door.

I slept like a newborn baby, and when I woke up the next morning I could not help but smile.

I hadn't felt like that in a long time.

No comments: