Monday, June 13, 2005

my life is good

Lately things have been working out. I have no explanation, other than the accumulated experiences of three decades are finally making an impact on how I go about my business.

Thursday, I stayed up all night working on this instrumental, and I must say I am digging it, although it still needs some restructuring and editing... as well as some vocals!

Friday night I had a sumptuous dinner with Paulie and the crew at Palms Restaurant in Thai Town. The "Thai Elvis" was there, crooning the hits. In case y'all didn't know, I am a huge Elvis fan-- no, I don't dress up like him, and I don't have sideburns. But I have been known to sport a pompador, and I know all the words to some of his best songs.

I drove Nona's sister Nina home and almost stayed for a drink or two. Nina and I have been friends forever. She is a successful architect now, living in Hollywood with her dude. I couldn't find parking, so I took a raincheck on the drink.

Saturday saw me rehearsing with the metalheads, learning Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name". There was a time when I wouldn't be caught dead even humming that tune, but I have nothing to prove to anyone anymore-- in high school, I cared about being cooler-than-thou. However, high school has been over for quite some time, and besides: those types of things never even mattered in high school.

When I think about high school, I think about how I ditched all of my friends for the Theatre Arts people, because they could make me laugh as opposed to trying to argue with me. That's an important distinction, people: to quote Morrissey, why waste good time fighting the people you like?

I mean, I was literally surrounded by smart kids who knew the answers to everything but knew the value of nothing. What good is physics going to do you as a teenager, when you have never even had one night of reckless abandon to crow about?

Anyway...

Later on, Dotty and I went to Burbank Bar & Grill, for my sister-in-law's birthday. There was a cover band called Decades. The singer was done up like Robert Palmer, the five-string bassist was dressed like Flavor Flav, the guitarist looked like the stereotypical punk rocker with spiky hair, and the drummer could've been part of Huey Lewis and The News. These guys were good. I liked them not for the nostalgia-- I loathe nostalgia, actually --but because they had chops and played their instruments well, and got the party moving.

Dotty and I stayed up all night watching Chappelle's Show Season Two on DVD. I am not sick of that show yet.

Lately, the less I think about things, the more fun I have. It's sad but true. There's a time to intellectualize, and then there's a time to laugh and have fun. I'm putting the intellectualizing on hold for a bit.

Sunday found me at an Arts & Crafts Fair at Warner Center, trying to drum up ideas for my next painting. Then, I rehearsed again with the metalheads, and drove back to Paulie's place for the Sunday night BBQ ritual.

It makes no sense to try and rationalize these things. I can't explain what makes me happy or what has me smiling, other than the feeling that I've come a long way from the person I was two years ago.

Believe me, when things go wrong, you all will be the first people to hear about it. I guarantee it. I have no problem venting my rage in these blog pages. But just once, I want to keep the detailed articulations of my happiness to myself. There's no reason behind any of it, and that is the best reason of all.

Is that cool?

I knew you'd understand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you rock. I love the instrumental.

Bridget said...

Its cool to hear you happy. When you are happy, you don't feel the need to find reasons for it. You only need reasons to be happy when you are down. I've been more happy too lately and it feels good.

I like the Warner Center arts fair. They also have Sunday concert sin the park there, which are cheesy but fun, especially if you take a picnic.