Monday, June 13, 2005

shocked (i tell you)

I guess this is a sign of getting old: when you find something you wrote a long time ago and find that you are SHOCKED at what you wrote.

I am shocked mostly because of my frankness. It was written in September of 2003, and at the time I was subletting from my old roomie Jessica in Sherman Oaks. I had just joined Holly Golightly's band and had a slight crush on her. I also was looking for something-- anything --to take away my blues.

When you read this excerpt from my old blog, you might see a contrast in tone, but at the same time I still retain a certain ornery-ness. What is shocking is that this particular post was about real people, in this case a band called Exploiting Eve. They googled their band name and came across the post. They liked it, so they e-mailed me and asked if they could reproduce it. I said yes, on the condition they put up a disclaimer, a move I am glad I suggested.

On their site, they wrote:


Here's a funny blog story featuring Vincent and Janelle of Exploiting Eve. It's written by "Sex McGinty". We came across it as we were vainly Googling ourselves several months ago. It was written nearly a year ago but we only now found time to post it. Read this disclaimer from the author, then click the link below to get to the story.

"..although I did not change Ex Eve's names in my story, other names have been changed, and events have been fictionalized for artistic license and functional narrative. In other words, it's for entertainment purposes, not journalism. I wouldn't want people to read it and think that this is exactly what happened down to the last detail."



Here is the post in question, old template and all.

In the time since this post was reproduced on their site, Exploiting Eve have disbanded, and now the singer (and the subject of my leering post) has her own site. I am on her e-mail list, and she sent out a notice that she has branched out on her own.

I figure, if I'm still on her e-mail list then she probably thought my post was fine and dandy. But I still can't believe I had the balls to write that post. I guess I never thought it would get back to them. And the fact that they were cool about it makes me respect them even more.

Of course, I'm not ashamed of the post... but I did blush when I read my initial description of the singer.

I've shocked myself in the past, but reading this was like reading someone else's diary. In a way, it validates the deleting of my Archives, which was not entirely accidental nor was it entirely deliberate. There were some moments I was proud of, but I think the tone I have set currently is more of a true representation of who I am.

In 2003, I was trying to be outrageous, provocative, and bold. I think this one worked on many different levels, none of them related to what was my original intent.

And besides, it's only rock 'n' roll, right?

Right.

And even though I'm getting old and it's only rock 'n' roll, I still like it.

No comments: