Monday, August 15, 2005

absurdity revisited

A few weeks back I posted briefly about Thomas Pynchon and his love of the cowbell, tying it in with smaller issues (The recent SNL-Blue Oyster Cult sketch) and larger ones (switching identities in the Age of Narcissism).

I profess that I myself have always loved the cowbell. It's yet another trend that I started before it became popular, much like ripped jeans as a fashion statement or the stage posturing of Eddie Vedder. I'm always five years ahead of my time, but it took 13 years for the cool factor of the cowbell to come into its own.

Back in high school, I used to practially beg A-Dogg, the drummer in our band at the time, to go into long, drawn-out drum solos that culminated with one lone cowbell shot. It was hilarious to us.

But now, with people sporting T-shirts that say MORE COWBELL, it seems that the cowbell's time has come.

The only use of the cowbell that I disapprove of is by fans of the Sacramento Kings. I hate their team with a passion, and they use the cowbell to distract rival teams during basketball games.

Key to the overnight cowbell craze is Christopher Walken. A frequent SNL guest, he was hosting the show on that infamous eve when the Blue Oyster Cult sketch aired. His character's demand for "more cowbell" was comedic gold.

And now? He's running for President in 2008.

One online forum (World Net Daily, I believe) conducted a poll of who would vote for Christopher Walken. 46% said they would vote for him; 30% said they "gotta have more cowbell"...

Another site (whose link I can't remember) said that, if he is indeed serious, his slogan should be "America needs more cowbell"...

These are absurd times that we are living in, my friends. Truly 'pataphysical, completely absurd times...

No comments: