Monday, August 01, 2005

it's only a blog

There was a time, not long ago, when it seemed like I belonged to some little online community, made up of links to other blogs. I communicated with these people daily. It was fun.

It's not like that anymore. I changed templates and fonts a few times, even changed the URL in the wake of the stalker; most of the members of this unofficial blog community have stopped blogging altogether, while some tired of my comapny, and yet others remain unexplained in their absence; even I have cut down considerably on blogging, and not just in terms of quantity but quality-- nothing intimate is being said here nowadays.

Then again, it's only a blog.

But I miss Sahalie and Fishfry and Snake Oils and Blousy Drake and Blue 59 and Violet Butcher...

Some blogs keeps on going. Clay and Zen and Invisible Shoebox and Occult Investigator and Glutter and Grass Under Bare Feet and Ayelet still post sporadically, but not as often as before.

I've made new friends, such as Butterscotch. She reminds me of those days, the spirit of this imaginary online community that existed in my head.

But I wonder why I am reflecting fondly upon it now, when it's only been a few years since I started blogging in the first place. Not only that, but I made deliberate decisions to not get mired in a rut, which is why I changed templates and URLs and went out of my way to alienate fellow bloggers...

I just tried to get personal again, to write the way I used to write in this blog back in the day, but I deleted it all. I always suspect that I jinx myself by writing about things that are going on in my life, and ever since I started keeping my life private, things have been going in my favor.

So I can't jinx it. I just can't.

It's okay, it's only a blog-- there'll be more further down the line. You can count on it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think daily about blogging.....and it's about all I have time for...I can read or post, but can't do both. It would be full of complaints anyhow.

Bridget said...

I used to read some of those blogs too. I miss them too. I miss you being personal. Perhaps you can take it to one level of abstraction higher (so as not to jinx yourself) but still post some private stuff. Also, maybe you should try and build up some new links?

Are you at the brink of not blogging anymore?