Thursday, December 01, 2005

a brief obit

I met Wendie Jo Sperber once, and only once, when I was working at the old radio network, working the board for some weekend programming.

One of those shows, The Group Room, is hosted by cancer survivors who give support and advice to cancer patients.

Sperber was a guest on one of the shows. I instantly recognized her from the dozens upon dozens of TV shows and movies she'd appeared in, among them Back To The Future and Married... With Children. But it was her role in the '80's TV sitcom Bosom Buddies (which is notable for being Tom Hanks' first starring role in anything) that I remembered best.

She was incredibly gracious and sweet, humble and grateful for the opportunity to share her story on the air. It looked like she had overcome it, and we all wished her the best.

I think something like this makes me even sadder because of the fact that I actually met the person and had more than just a light conversation about the weather. We talked about life and death, treatment and disease, pain and joy. I barely knew her, but it seems like I knew her very well because I saw her so much, on the small and big screen. I grew up with her, in a way.

This is different than being sad over Pat Morita, who recently passed away. That makes me sad, that someone I liked as a performer is no longer with us. But this one hurts just a little bit more, because I shook her hand. I shared orange juice and bagels with her. I even impressed her with my knowledge of the things she'd done, even the failed TV pilots and lesser-known movies.

She was funny and thoughtful, and now she is gone.

Rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was lovely, James. There are those celebrities we "connect" with in some strange way, perhaps by meeting them briefly or knowing they share something similar with us. I'm glad you had a chance to meet WJS. Sounds to me like she was a beautiful person.