Friday, February 25, 2005

"YARBLES! BOLSHY GREAT YARBLOCKOS TO THEE AND THINE!"

Don't get me wrong: I'm a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick. I think his adaptation of Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange was (and still is) spectacular, a visual delight and also a black comedy of the finest pedigree.

But I want to remake it. And here are the reasons:

1. Kubrick's version was based upon the American publication of the novel, which omitted the 21st chapter for some odd reason (perhaps because the American publishers wanted to add a glossary of the teen slang used in the book). This crucial final chapter ends on a less dire note, and yet (if you ask me) it also seems like a bleaker premise than the famous ending, with the protagonist-- ultra-violent Alex --stating that he was "cured alright".

2. There are many differences between Kubrick's movie and Burgess' novel that I would like to reconcile. Although Kubrick faithfully reproduced the novel's satiric themes and created an unforgettable sci-fi reality, there are a few instances in the book that, I feel, could've been included in the movie without much effort. Certain scenes and images that Kubrick probably excised because they conflicted with his idea of who Alex was would be restored.

3. If I were to remake A Clockwork Orange, there'd be no point in trying to duplicate Kubrick's hyper-detailed vision... which is why I'd opt to animate it. Yes, an animated version of A Clockwork Orange would be daring enough to try. And who knows-- maybe I could get Malcolm McDowell to reprise his starmaking turn as Alex-- I mean, it's only his voice we'd be using, right?

4. I feel it would do Anthony Burgess a large service to try and wrest A Clockwork Orange from its infamous associations. Out of all of Burgess' novels (and he wrote quite a number) he always claimed it was his least favorite. I'm not sure if he came to this conclusion before or after Kubrick's movie was released, but in essays included in later printings Burgess addressed his disapproval over the growing cult of fans who prefer Kubrick's film to the book.

5. The movie never explains what "a clockwork orange" actually is, and so the title of the movie remains a mystery to those who haven't read the book... not that it matters, as most of the people who are fans of the movie couldn't care less about the relevance of the title.

My experience with the Clockwork phenomenon: The book was recommended to me by a punk-rock friend in junior high when it was time to prepare a book report for English class. I found the book in the school library (American version) and got halfway through it. Then, I realized that it had been made into a movie-- I knew this from recalling an old MAD Magazine parody entitled "A Clockwork Lemon".

So I asked my parents to rent the movie on VHS. Halfway through the film, they turned it off in disgust. My father proclaimed it an "anarchist's movie" and they forbade me from ever suggesting rental ideas ever again.

I read the rest of the book, and didn't see the movie all the way through until I was almost out of junior high. I did my book report, and received an 'A'. My English teacher asked me if I'd read the American or the British version. When I discovered there was more to read, I immediately went to the public library near my home and found a copy that contained the missing chapter.

I like the movie. It's great. It's a cinematic milestone.

But I like the book better, and I want to remake it.

So...

Who wants to give me the money to do it?

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND, FOLKS!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey tattletale:

How was work on Friday?

-Godtown

PS: Thanks for the easy win.

Anonymous said...

This is great, tattletale. Aside from humiliating you at work, I'm going to ruin your oh-do-precious blog, too.

Now, everyone you know will get to read my comments right alongside yours.

Getting your goat is way too easy, Jimbo.

See ya!

-Godtown

PS: Remaking "Clockwork" is truly the thinking of an individual devoid of creativity and originality. Here's my impression of you, Jimbo:

"Even though I'm unoriginal and boring, and I've never been published in a real publication, dammit, I know I'm a real writer because I have a blog! I know! I'll take someone else's innovative literature which has already been brilliantly adapted and re-do it myself, but here's the twost that'll make it my own: Mine will be animated! Yay me!"

Great idea, copycat. You were probably in a lot of cover bands, weren't you, Jimbo?

J Drawz said...

"Now, everyone you know will get to read my comments right alongside yours..."That was the point of my posting the URL on CL. No such thing as bad publicity, right?

Now, everyone who reads my blog can see how obsessed you are with me.

By the way: Work is fine. You should know-- you keep calling them in a desperate attempt to get me fired.

And I wouldn't be talking about "computer nerd", bro-- you spent your whole weekend commenting on my blog.

Kiss the rings...

Anonymous said...

Ummm, check the dates, nerd.

"Kiss the Rings" sounds more and more desperate everytime you say it. Stick with it though. Really, you're not coming off scared or anything. I've really gotten to you.

Who is obsessed? Check your archives, copycat. Posting after posting, all about me. All that effort, all that time, all about me. You're crumbling.

Now, run along and think of more classic works of originality you can "remake". You're a regular geyser of creativity, ain'tcha Jimbo? Eh, maybe not. Stick to being a frustrated, impotent, failed writer. It's a much better fit.

-Your god, Godtown

PS: This blogging is fun. I'll be sure to add my daily thoughts to your precious blog every morning when I come in. Thanks for the outlet!

J Drawz said...

Your welcome. I know you're upset about not having type of creative outlet, what with being banned from CL and all. I figured the least I could do was give you a chance to show the world how pathetic you are.

Comment any time. Feel free to express your inarticulate rage when you need to-- maybe you'll learn a few things, but I doubt it. Your type never learns anything except how to project your personal misery onto others.

btw: I'm almost done with the short story I've been dabbling with, the one with you as a main character. It'll be posted shortly. Hope you like it-- I know you'll read it, and that's what every good writer wants--an audience...

Kiss the rings, beeyatch.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I do have a creative outlet, and guess what? I actually get *gasp* paid to write screenplays, and next week, it gets even better for me. This blog is all you have. Published yet, Jimbo? Making any money with that spiteful, jealous, poison pen of yours? Didn't think so.

Definitely continue writing about me. I have never been more flattered as a matter of fact. The more I continue to drive you into the realm of irrational insanity and consume your entire existence, the more my grasp on your sad, internet-based life tightens, the more you have shown everyone here how I have mastered the art of psychological assassination, and taken control of you. Besides, you're a terrible writer, man. If you were any good, you'd be published.

Frustrated, failed critics like you never learn. See, you need people like me who are actually out there pushing buttons to get viseral, gut reactions from people so you have something to latch onto and comment on, since you're an unoriginal coward (remake Clockwork, loser). People like you are afraid to put it out there and face criticism because people like you are spineless. You need me because you're less than nothing, Jimbo; just another sad little critic, throwing his little temper tantrums because no one pays any attention to his pea-brained opinons. You watch, while others make things happen. That's why I'm published and you're not. Go back to the sidelines, right where you belong, snuggles. I'm sure there's a nice warm spot on the bench with your name on it, James. I'll bet it's *real* broken in, too, from all that watching. Enjoy the view.

-Your god, Godtown.

PS: Too funny. You're not the only one who is writing a story with a "featured" main character based on a real person. My main character's name is James Le***ma, and boy oh boy...

He's pathetic. You go ahead and blog on, baby, I'll see mine developed through the production company I am signing with next week to write/adapt dozens of screenplays. You know what it's like to get paid to write, right? Oh, wait. You don't. Don't worry, Jimbo: You and I aren't even close to being done yet. I never imagined having my own personal whipping boy could be this much fun.

PPS: "Kiss the rings" is awesome, but I love how you added "Beyotch" this time. Snoop Jimmy Jim. Stick with it. Really, you're not lame at all.

J Drawz said...

So, when do you find time to write screenplays at the credit card company?

Anonymous said...

Newsflash: My time here is almost up. Hard work pays off, Jimbo. You should try researching, writing and pitching instead of worrying about me so much.

Why don't you think about that while you're thinking about what went wrong in your life.

PS: I used to tour with one of the bands you're linked to. They'd be so annoyed that an intellectual poser like you has connected himself to them. Then again, that's what coat-tail riders do: Connect themselves to real talent when they posess none.

J Drawz said...

I agree that people like you connect themselves to real talent when they posess none. That's why you've been commenting on my blog, right?

Right.

You live at home with your parents, you couldn't make it as a musician, and now you're trying to convince me that someone in Hollywood wants your ideas?

Don't quit your day job, kid. Five bucks says that not only will you not approach me at Spaceland, but you'll run to some cyber-cafe and go on CL and try to convince everyone who hates you there that you challenged me and I ran.

But we both know the truth.

btw: I'm not banned from CL anymore. But you are. How does it feel, dunce?

Anonymous said...

Think what you want, Snoop Jimmy Jim, but I can feel that rage swelling up in you now, man. Why don't you think about this for a while:

I'm going to be doing what you think you should be doing for a living, while you remain scared to take the chance, paralyzed because offline? You're nothing and you know it. Your jealousy fills me with joy, James. Losers like you watch and critique, artists like me put it out there and get rewarded for their courage and talent.

How's it feel, to only have this? To know, without a doubt, all you'll ever have is this blog and this is a good as it gets for you. While to me, you're less than nothing, a verbal punching bag I use for my amusement, but for you? This is your peak. This is as good as it gets, then it's back to blogging and writing reviews for amazon.com, two free services that ANYONE can use. How's it feel, Jimmy? See the difference yet, asshole?

BTW, I could give a fuck about CL, loser. Unlike you, I actually have a life outside in the *real* world.

Blog on, Snoop Jimmy Jim. It's all you've got.

-Your god, Godtown.

Paok said...

Bolches y tibios yarboclos pa todos.

Unknown said...

jimi, this anonymous dude is definitely someone who knows you