Tuesday, December 21, 2004

boundless and downward

Winter time arrives
with bags in tow
packages and bundles from the year past
Plenty of gifts to rifle through
such as remembrances of those
who tried to stifle you
keep you down
crush your spirit
those who wanted to see you cry
demanding tears as psychic ransom
now they disappear like phantoms
never to be fathomed again

My demons are out in the cold
I am warm inside
wrapped in blankets and comforters
eyes glazed and set ablaze by the fireplace
music fills my head like
brandy in a snifter
I am a shape-shifter
adapting to the rapture of change
time bending in strange ways
warping beyond my reach
each twisted curve riddled with cysts and nerve endings deadened

My soul feels leaden and heavy
and yet I am ready
for seasons to transform
to metamorphise
to shun darkness and seek more light
in the span of a fortnight
I stand forthright in the other direction
gazing upon perfection
in the form of this city
lights askew, slanted and pretty
romantic and yet so petty
so insignificant
compared to all else surrounding
it's all so astounding
confounding
boundless and downward
my eyes focus on my shuffling shoes
trying to grind a foothold
but only finding cooler shades of blue
tainted and torn in two


*/*

This is not meant to be a sad poem. Rather, it is a Winter poem, and it's all I am feeling right now. I am counting the days until I am back to a normal work schedule, and I can't wait for the holidays to pass.

Things are going good, and that's what scares me.

Oh well, I'll just do what I always do, when things are bad and I'm not scared: I'll just follow my instincts and trust that they will not lead me astray.

That's it. That's what I'll do.

Well, here I go. Wish me luck.


BONUS BLOG: Ain't done one of these thingies in a while. Check it:


How evil are you?


I mean, I always knew that about me... but now I have confirmation!

Looks like Santa's passing me up this year. That's okay-- I'd rather get a visit from the Bad Santa than St. Nick anyway!

No comments: