Wednesday, December 22, 2004

A YEAR'S TIME

She asked me if I'd ever seen any of the Harry Potter movies and I said no, and then she asked me if I'd ever read the books and I said no, and she said that she never read the books but has seen all the movies and she wanted to show me the latest one, the best one in her opinion, and of course she had it on DVD... because what does she NOT have on DVD?

Anyway, it was just the two of us, reclining on my couch, my kitty cat imposing himself between us, and I watched the movie and it was good, much better than I thought it would be, I have nothing against the books or the series, I just never found myself wanting to know what it was all about, and if you ask me all the crap about witchcraft is just a bunch of bull, if you substituted the word "magic" for the phrase "The Force" you'd have Star Wars instead of Harry Potter, so what's all this talk about promoting witchcraft-- did Star Wars promote witchcraft? Of course not, but yet The Force is the same thing as magic, no? I remember growing up and all of my Christian relatives drew parrallels between The Force and God, and it cracks me up how we humans only see what we want to see when we want to see it...

All I saw was the two of us, laying on the couch, arms around each other, enjoying a quiet night of television, and once again I just had that warm feeling that overcomes me at certain moments, and I smiled and sighed and she never knew what was going on in my head as I imagined the two of us being like that forever, never changing, never straying, never wanting anything else, and I knew it was just a flight of fancy but oh how fanciful it was, how wonderful the notion became in my mind, how it swelled in my heart, how it stirred my soul...

And I think of all the times I wrote the words "come back to me" in my poems, how many times I wrote a song in tribute to her, how many nights I wondered where she was and who she was with, and now it's all full circle, it's all back to square one, and I still can't believe it, like it's some extended dream, like the universe has begun to contract and we are the generation caught in its undertow, like a whole new world has emerged from the ashes of the old one, and it boggles my mind, it renders me speechless, it makes me tremble in my boots...

Who knows where we'll be in a year's time?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

No comments: