Monday, December 13, 2004

SOMETHING BETTER BEGINNING

"Is this the start of another heartbreaker
or something better beginning?"


--The Kinks, "Something Better Beginning"

Yesterday, as Bro Man and Eve sat in my living room, drinking beers and cracking jokes, getting ready to watch The Simpsons with me, as I stood in front of the toilet ready to drain myself of the alcohol I'd been imbibing, I suddenly felt the prescence of God, or a god, or just a feeling of peace and love, and I looked up at the ceiling, drunk as I was, and I whispered, "Thank you God. I'm really happy right now. Thank you."

She and I have been inseparable. Friday night, she didn't have to work the next day, and we had a go at it, and we didn't get to sleep until 6 in the morning. Around 10:30 AM I was ready for another round, and (amazingly) she was game.

We lolled around in bed until 2:30 in the afternoon. Do you know how long it has been since I lazed about in bed with a girl? Too long. It's one of life's most sublime pleasures, really.

I know, I'm not as readable when I'm happy as when I'm in despair. I lack the hunger and the accuracy of being angry. But I'm just trying to enjoy it for what it is right now, because life is nothing to let pass by, and I still can't quite believe that Eve and I are back in each other's periphery.

We finished a lot of animation work on Saturday. She felt proud because she completed an entire scene by herself, without my assistance. It was incredible to behold. I was so proud of her. She was smiling from ear to ear, laughing that laugh that she possesses, her happiness contagious and damning.

We paid a short visit to The Droogie and his new squeeze. It was a lot of fun, if a bit short-lived. I may be starting up a comic strip on her personal website, or perhaps a newer version of my old "DEAR SEX" column. She has asked me if I want to contribute, and I said "yes".

Saturday night, Eve and I went back to my place, but this time we opened up the futon in my living room and watched Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers on DVD until we fell asleep. No hanky-panky, no all-night marathons... just warm kisses, plenty of blankets, a plethora of pillows, and the two of us, holding each other tight.

The next morning, I turned on the radio and listened to The Beatles on KCSN. She showed me how to make coffee without a coffee maker. We lazed around some more, talking about our lives, how different things would be if we had stayed together in high school, how we might be mortal enemies right now if our relationship hadn't been aborted as it was. We talked about how much both of us have grown, how much we still have to learn, and (most importantly) we made each other laugh.

She went to her mother's house, to bake Christmas cookies. I called up Bro Man and told him to stop by the pad to hang out. When he showed up, Eve called and informed me that she was done hanging out with her mom. I told her to come by, and to bring her laundry.

We all watched The Simpsons and had a grand old time. Bro Man and Eve technically have known each other longer than Eve and I or Bro Man and I, so it was like a small family reunion. She had to leave, of course, because she has to get up so early for work, but she left with a load of clean laundry and my kiss on her lips.

I'm still looking for the "catch", but it doesn't stop me from grinning, from holding her in my arms and reading her mind, from being inspired by her imagination to create works of art...

I quoted the brilliant Ray Davies at the beginning of this piece, but I will quote Morrissey at its end. And wouldn't you know it, it's the one line from a Smiths song that doesn't bring me down or make me mope.

"I just might die with a smile on my face after all..."

--"That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore", Meat Is Murder

I can face the future with a different kind of confidence. And the only thing I can do is look up at the sky and give thanks, whether it be to God or Allah or Buddha or The Universe...

I just gotta thank somebody, something, for this joy I am experiencing.

How about if I thank you blog readers out there, for being an audience, for letting me vent, for tolerating to my twisted posts and skewed views?

That would be nice.

Thank you, readers. Have a nice day, okay?

1 comment:

Bridget said...

It all sounds great. You deserve it! :)