Thursday, March 24, 2005

THE FROG AND THE SCORPION

I am learning about Narcissism.

The Narcissism List has shown me an enormous resource archive of information related to Narcissism.

It is a serious personality disorder, as serious as histrionic or bi-polar disorder. However, I have to be careful-- I don't want to deny that I have Narcissistic tendencies, and I also don't want to embrace symptoms that I do not possess.

For example, my Narcissism is mainly passive. I think it is referred to as Inverted Narcissism, but it explains why the Internet has been such an instrument for my unbridled rage. The Internet is the ideal locale for Narcissists, because it involves the formation of a False Self. Narcissists invent False Selves in their pursuit of attention, or "narcissistic supply".

Also, I have a tendency to seek out other Narcissists, which qualifies me as not only an Inverted Narcissist but a Codependent Narcissist. This was the most amazing revelation, because I have never really pondered the notion that the people I make friends with are the same as me. Narcissists tend to see themselves as unique, but if they seek out other Narcissists, it reinforces a sense of being "right"-- if I have a problem with someone, I have other Narcissists around me to indulge me in supply. Likewise, they also seek me out because I supply them with the same attention, but in the exchange both Narcissists equally feel that they have gotten something out of the other, and not the other way around.

I was loathe to think that I surround myself with likeminded Narcissists, but that's because, in the List, they warn that Narcissists tend to blame others for their shortcomings and project their flaws onto others constantly. I want to know more about this disorder but I don't want to misdiagnose myself.

It explains, though, why I have such difficulty cultivating long-term love relationships: I tend to gravitate towards female Narcissists. We spend our time together bumping heads over who is more special. Amy Coates was the most extreme example-- she could not possibly fathom that she had met someone just as vain as her, if not more. Eve is another Narcissist, who has expressed her disbelief time and time again over my self-absorption and lack of empathy.

I don't mean to blame them, because I am just like them. Rather, I simply recognize that I actively pursue relationships with fellow Narcissists... perhaps to make myself feel better about myself and my awareness of the problem?

Finally, my father was (and still is) a Grade-A Counterdependent Narcissist. This has rubbed off not only on me but on my younger brother. My father is the type of person who, when prompted to recall what you just said to him, will probably not be able to quote you. That's because he was busy thinking of the next thing he was going to say, as opposed to truly listening.

I think that growing up with such a pronounced Narcissistic influence in my life has actually helped me to be more aware of my own condition. I strive to not be like him, and I find that most of my personal frustrations stem from my acting in a manner not unlike my father's childish, self-centered demands.

It's not curable, by the way. Narcissists don't change, because it's the base of their identity, their personality's make-up. There's that old anecdote about the Scorpion riding on the Frog's back to cross the lake: the Frog is reluctant but reasons that, if stung by the Scorpion, the both of them will drown, and the Scorpion, wanting to preserve himself, would not dare to sting the Frog. So the Frog gives the Scorpion a ride... and he stings him anyway.

As they both sink into the water, the Frog asks the Scorpion why he stung him, and the Scorpion replies, "Because I'm a fucking Scorpion, you dumb motherfucker... that's what I do!"

On the plus side: the Narcissism List acknowledges that Narcissists can contribute positively to society, even if their personalities are, at the root, anti-social. If their energies can be channeled into helping civilization make progress, then their efforts are welcomed and warranted... provided, of course, that the narcissistic supply is kept flowing.

I thought I knew everything there was to know about it, and I find that I don't know anything. This feeds my ego in some perverse way. It is just the way that I am.

Tomorrow, I will post my second chapter in my weekly online novel. Have a nice evening, all.

15 comments:

Bridget said...

Jimbo~

1. I love the story about the frog and the scorpion

2. This post kind of freaked me out, because I was going to post about narcissism today. In a book I am reading for school, the author talks about how narcissism has not been studied much until recently, mostly because we look upon narcissists as being selfish and egotistical. The statement from the book that I was really taken with is: "I have in mind particularly the prevailing climate of our Judeo-Christian civilization that can sometimes forgive and try to redeem the man who is a victim of his passions, be they sexual or aggressive, but that finds it very difficult to give a fair hearing to the man who presents himself as smugly superior and arrogantly self-righteous".

3. I do not think you meet the clinical definition of narcissism - you have a lot of empathy for one thing. But, I can see that you have tendencies in that direction.

4. Although it is probably a paradoxical question, now I too want to know - am I one of the narcissists?

Shannon said...

I agree...The frog and scorpion is one of my favs as well, and I don't think you are a true narcissist, because most true narcissists have very little insight into thier condition, but you have strong personality traits of a narcissist, as do I, and thousands of other people. It isn't considered a disorder unless it causes you to become persistently disfunctional in your life...it just makes us seem obnoxious, lol! Reading the outtake from Dr. Vaknin that you put in your previous post reminds me why I became so fascinated with the Taoist philosphy of non action...it seems to me that Toaism is the anti-narcissism...the anti evangelism which is so typified by eastern ways of thinking.

sahalie said...

bridget~ take all school books with a grain of salt ;)
perhaps in our culture narcissism hasn't been studied until recently; but the ancient greeks seemed to have a pretty good idea of what it was (hence the name) and explained it with the myth of narcissus, who fell in love with his own reflection

Bridget said...

sahalie - yes, I know the ancient greeks talked about the myth of narcissus, and that this is where the name comes from. However, most of what James is referring to in his post is the psychological definition of narcissism, so I thought it was relevant to bring up the fact that narcissism hasn't been studied in depth by psychologists until fairly recently. This has ocurred for fairly scientific reasons, but is also due to prejudice against narcissists. I think that's intriguing.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Vaknin described the Internet as "the ultimate Narcissistic experience". This blew my mind to ponder. I agree with him. But, that doesn't mean that I think anyone that I only know online is one of my narcissistic friends.

I think the kind of narcissists I seek out are in my daily life, the people whom I'm not e-mailing or chatting with because I see them at least once a week. People whom I've been really close to have turned out to be narcissistic.

I think all of my creative friends are narcissistic. Some of them definitely meet the criterion. I think I have very strong tendencies but I'm not a full-blown case-- to suggest otherwise would trivialize the condition.

I would like to have more empathy, and have it when I really need it. I find my empathy misplaced a lot of the time, which is a symptom of narcissism.

These are some of the most thoughtful comments I've had in a long time. I'm not saying that simply because it fed my demand for N-supply either. This is something I have been thinking about since I left work yesterday and it is resonating strongly with me right now. I think I'm going to be on a Narcissism kick for a spell. Apologies to all those who cringe at that thought...

Anonymous said...

For the narcissist in all of us.

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~geoffo/humour/flattery.html

Anonymous said...

"Are You A Narcissist?" online quiz!

http://www.true-magic.com/games/narciss.html

sahalie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sahalie said...

bridget darlin
i too think it is interesting that in this culture we haven't studied psychological and other characteristic traits like narcissism. the scientific element is cool, certainly. i also think it's interesting that the ancient greek inventors of psychology managed to identify and exemplify, crystallize even, the essence of narcissism in parable-style mythos. seems like there really is always something "new" to learn.

i got a ten on the test. it told me to brush my hair more often.

Bridget said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bridget said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bridget said...

sahalie - yes this is interesting. The ancient greeks also thought our personalities were made up of four humours that controlled our temperament. neat.

Anonymous said...

I scored 22%!

sahalie said...

maybe i'm suffering from
grecophilia (oooh, that sounds ...nasty!)

Anonymous said...

It said I could stand to show off a bit more... seriously!