Tuesday, April 05, 2005

THE RETURN OF RANDOM THOUGHT SWIRL

I've been resisting the urge to comment on The Minutemen because I wanted to see them fuck things up on their own. Although the following link doesn't qualify as a bona-fide fuck-up, it just goes to show what a little mob rule can do to the part of the brain that controls common sense.

They're setting off sensors that alert the real Border Patrol of intruders... they've just made the Border Patrol's work a lot harder.

Dumbasses....


*/*


The only song I ever liked from New Order is "True Faith". A friend of mine referred me to Launch.com when I was trying to describe the video for the song-- my friend, who is a big fan of New Order, had never seen the weird video clip for "True Faith"!

How do I even begin to describe the video? Let's just say that, when I first saw the video on a local TV show called Video One, (hosted by Richard Blade of World Famous KROQ fame) it gave me nightmares!

There's these weird guys with face paint, dressed in oversized foam costumes. They resemble life-sized versions of alien chess pieces. They do these odd dances, jump on trampolines like angry Smurfs, use sign language to deliver the lyrics, engage in choreographed violence, and slap each other to the electro beat. Occasionally, there's a shadowy clip of Bernard Sumner singing into the mic passionately, and short snippets of the band on stage.

Watching the video and hearing the song again, I was totally moved. Great fucking song, that "True Faith": Awesome chord progression, haunting melody, dreamlike vocals and mystifying lyrics. I'd like to remake that song one day.

That song, Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls", and Talk Talk's "It's My Life" (covered recently by No Doubt) remind me of the late, great Video One. All of those aforementioned songs had weird-ass videos, now that I think about it.

Video One was awesome-- in addition to videos by early INXS, Duran Duran, and The Cure, they would play rare Prince clips and live concert footage from the Purple Rain tour.

Aw shit... I'm waxing nostalgic, aren't I? FUCK!


*/*


Anyone been to the official Simpsons website? The link is www.thesimpsons.com, and it's really fucking great! There's an interactive section with profiles of all of the major characters from the show, and... well, I don't want to spoil it for you. Suffice it to say, if you're bored at work, this website will keep you mildly entertained... especially if you're a Simpsons junkie like I am!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what's funny? For years I thought New Order was OMD! Then when someone set me straight, I realized that I liked OMD more than New Order. But "True Faith" is a really exceptional, stellar song. It's not that I don't like New Order, it's just that for years I thought their songs were from another group. I didn't even know about the connection to Joy Division until some Goth girl I was crushing on in junior high let me know the deal.