Thursday, April 07, 2005

SON OF RANDOM THOUGHT SWIRL

My old roomie Jessica provided this link to a Name Generator that gives you Goth nicknames.

Mine was "Lucifer".

I have always had a thing for Goth girls. Ripped nylons, whiteface, heavy mascara, crazy hairdos and dye jobs, blood-red lipstick, long fingernails...

I used to have a crush on Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. I used to have a crush on Morticia from The Addams Family. Lily from The Munsters was also pretty hot, but I always preferred Marilyn, the "normal" daughter on that show. And let's not forget the Suicide Girls-- ay, mamasita!

I liked Goth girls so much that I had a Goth hairstyle for a while. I didn't dye my hair, because my hair is as close to black as brown can get. I looked like the Mexican Edward Scissorhands-- Eduardo de la Razor, I guess... If Edward's Creator had mixed in some genes from Julio The Gardener, then I was the result.

It worked-- Goth girls liked that shit. But after a while, I realized that I was just posing and I dropped the hair spray. Plus, Goth girls (for the most part) are fucking crazy, and I can't hang with girls who are that crazy, no matter how hot and luscious they look when done up.

After my Goth hair phase, I opted to go baldhead for a spell. I ended up looking like Caspar the Friendly Gangbanger.

I've had many different hairstyles in my life. Short, mullet, long (down to my shoulders), Mohawks/Faux-hawks, shaved on one side or all over, spiked, feathered, wind-tunnel-tested, Flattop, Marine cut, layered, parted to one side, parted to the other, parted down the middle, combed forward, combed backward... The only hairstyles I have consciously avoided are the Beatle shag, the George (named because both George Clooney and George Michael have rocked it, although I suppose it's technically called a Caesar cut), and the reverse Mohawk.

Never shaved any messages into the side of my head, but I did have a ducktail once.

I've noticed that I now have an actual hairline. It's receding, but that's to be expected. Before, I had a very small forehead, due to cowlicks that press my hairline forward instead of back. I have three noticeable cowlicks on my scalp, which has always made hairstyling a chore for me. Thanks to the ravages of time, I now have a Luke Perry forehead in the making, which is a rip-off of the James Dean.

Fuck Luke Perry. Long live James Dean. And Elvira as well....


*/*


I haven't been talking about the bands much, because Elle and Katie are no longer on speaking terms and the one with my pal Buddha only meets once every two weeks. But I'm still making music, and I'm getting a bunch of songs together for (gasp!) my own solo project...

I've had songs for years, but now that I have the home studio set-up, I can do almost anything I want to do. This time, I might just get my friends to play parts and build tracks from the ground up. It shouldn't be too hard.

I am compiling a selection of the best 4-track demos I have, and I will just chip away at them over time, make them better, re-record parts and tweak others, maybe even drop some vocals (my singing voice is nasal and reedy, but I can hit the notes)...

Maybe I'll name my solo project "Lucifer". Boy, would my parents enjoy that!

I figure, being in a band is good to keep the blood flowing, and that's about it. I should call the guys from Funkin Pie, though-- they were real cool, mellow cats, and if they haven't found a bass player by now, then I can get back into the groove with them. We'll see-- I gotta call them first.

Tonight I rehearse with Buddha and the boys-- these sessions have been taking a better turn ever since I started using the portable 4-track to tape the rehearsals. They're solid players, but we need more than once every two weeks to get our parts down.

All in all, things are good. I'm waiting for the catch...

1 comment:

sahalie said...

i'm Liquid Dreams"
ha ha ha